Sunday, September 30, 2012

From the balcony


There are woods on the other side,
From the balcony where I look,
Sipping generously on my tea,
A little warm, a little cold.
Outside the grasses are soft,
The woods are deep,
The world beckons,
As I keep a watchful wake ,
Aware of the time swiftly passing by.
I sweat a little in the humid morning,
While the air conditioner hums inside.

Inside is a whole different world,
A sleeping child,
A waiting bed,
A cold side of the bed waiting,
For a husband who will return soon.

I take my time sipping,
I take my time waiting,
This peace in my life,
So welcome a relief.
For soon in minutes,
The scramble inside would begin,
A waking child,
Restless footsteps,
Needy sighs,
Waiting for a mother’s return...

It would be easy to slip by unnoticed,
Into the patch of green and be lost for a while,
But it would be difficult to leave,
The life that heaves inside.

I finger the rim of my cup,
It stops my flights of fantasy,
Then I return back to my world,
And shut the door tightly behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment